You never thought you'd get divorced, but now it looks like things are definitely headed in that direction. Your spouse just got home and told you that they want to end the marriage.
You're shocked. You're not sure how to react or what to do next. Here are some tips that can help:
- Don't be afraid to give one another a bit of space. This is an emotional time. It may be best to just step back and think things through on your own before talking about it more together.
- Stay calm. Don't get angry. You can feel upset, but don't let things spiral out of control. Talk it over in a respectful manner and really listen to what your spouse has to say.
- Be open to future conversations. Ask questions. Let your spouse ask you anything they have on their mind. Start working together, whether this is the outcome you wanted or not.
- Keep things between the two of you. Talking to family members and close friends may be all right, but don't tell everyone or post about it on social media.
- Don't be overbearing. Don't demand to know where your spouse is any time you're not together, for instance.
- If you have kids, don't put them in the middle of this. It's your situation, something the two of you need to handle. Work together to find a good time to tell them, but don't force them to get involved.
Of course, it is also important to look into your legal options moving forward so that you can protect your rights during the divorce.