In a few weeks, Ohio schools will go on summer break. If you’re legally separated from your spouse or newly divorced, then you may not have extensive experience in handling custody matters. You may have even less knowledge about how to handle vacation plans that deviate from the schedule that you’ve agreed to. There are some steps that you can take to minimize the potential for conflict though.

If you’re planning a summer vacation, then check your custody agreement to see what it says about how far in advance and who you must advise about your plans. Also check to see what it says about the geographic limits for your travels. It may prohibit you from traveling out of the country or state with them. If you want to leave the area, then you may have to request a modification of your court order.

You should give your ex as much notice about your plans as possible. It’s important that you start the dialogue about your plans before you finalize anything. This will allow you to determine if your ex is going to give you problems about them or not. If you decide to tell them about your plans last minute, then you may not get the reception that you’re hoping for.

Once you set your travel plans, it’s important that you don’t deviate from them. It’s likely that the two of you will have to negotiate a modified plan to accommodate your child’s extended time on vacation. It’s important that you have your Westerville attorney draft it up and file it with the court. By doing this, your ex won’t be able to say that you violated any court orders.

During your vacation, you should be keen on letting your child continue to communicate with their other parent. Skype or Facetime may be a good option for allowing them to have face-to-face conversations. This can help your ex feel more comfortable knowing that they’re being well taken care of.

Travel plans are not always welcomed by parents, especially if it means that they will end up spending an extended period away from their kids. It can help to have a modifications and enforcement attorney negotiate plans with your spouse or their lawyer and to draft your intentions in writing. This should then be submitted to the court. By doing this, it minimizes the risk that legal complications will arise.