Brian S. Piper Co., LPA
Call Today for a Consultation 614-426-8704

modifications and enforcement Archives

Beware of a an ex-spouse who declines a pay raise

If you're going through a divorce, or you've recently settled your case, then you may think that all the courtroom battles are finally over for good. This isn't necessarily the case though. If you receive child support or alimony, and you've recently found out that your ex has turned down a pay raise, then you may be back in an Ohio courtroom very soon.

How should we handle visitation schedules during summer vacation?

In a few weeks, Ohio schools will go on summer break. If you're legally separated from your spouse or newly divorced, then you may not have extensive experience in handling custody matters. You may have even less knowledge about how to handle vacation plans that deviate from the schedule that you've agreed to. There are some steps that you can take to minimize the potential for conflict though.

What's considered an unfit parent?

Children don't come with manuals to help their moms or dads raise them leaving many of them to learn on the fly. While many adults are hard-wired to care for and nurture their own children and some grow their parenting skills the more hands-on experience that they get, others never really get the hang of parenting. There are also some parents that initially dote on their kids -- but become unfit to care for their children over time due to any number of reasons (especially alcohol and drug addiction). Some of those last two groups of parents will eventually be declared "unfit" parents and lose custody of their children.

More Ohio divorced parents are requesting 50-50 custody

Most family law judges in Westerville and throughout other parts of Ohio try to get couples who come in front of them to work out a parenting-time agreement that works for them. When they're unable to do so, the judge will often default to a standard plan that either Franklin or Delaware counties have adopted.

There are many consequences to not paying Ohio child support

When a judge presiding over a child custody or support issue enters an order in Ohio, the parents are expected to abide by it unless a revised one is approved by them. Even if a mom or dad loses their job or becomes ill, it still doesn't take away their responsibility to pay any ordered child support that a judge deems that they owe, but the situation may warrant a modification. Barring that, any other failure to pay can carry a variety of consequences.

Nearly 1 million Ohio kids receive $2 billion in child support

According to the Fayette County Department of Job & Family Services, more children in Ohio are designated to receive child support than any other type of aid offered in the state. As many as 33 percent of all Ohio children are recipients of child support.

Ohio's child support laws are on the verge of changing

Each year, more than $100 million in ordered child support payments go unpaid in the state of Ohio. Analysts estimate that one of the reasons this happens has to do with the non-custodial parent who's responsible for making those payments ducking wage garnishments by taking on work that's off the books.

Reasons that Ohio child support modifications may be warranted

Parents in Ohio are eligible to request a modification of child support every 36 months provided that one or both parents have undergone a significant change in circumstances in their lives. These requests must be accompanied by evidence that sheds light on why the requests are being made.

Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Brian S. Piper Co., LPA

Brian S. Piper Co., LPA
555 West Schrock Road Suite E
Westerville, OH 43081

Phone: 614-426-8704
Fax: 614-895-5650
Westerville Office Location

Firm Number: